Monday, January 13, 2014

Spaghetti Squash with Beef and Maitake Mushrooms....





This recipe was inspired by a recent trip to the local Farmer's market.   

I was so intrigued by the table of exotic mushrooms in all shapes and sizes... I just love texture!

Hmmmm, the least expensive of the lot was $5.00!...I have have a weekly budget for the Farmers market of $20 so spending five bucks on a clump of mushrooms did not seem like the thrifty frugal plan I had in mind.... I walked away, but I honestly could not stop thinking of the mushrooms! 
So yes,  I went back and bought the damn mushrooms!  
I'll admit, at first I had no idea what I was going to do with this beautiful Maitake specimen but it smelled awesome and I was reasonably sure I could come up with something to do with it. 
The Maitake mushroom is also known as  the "dancing mushroom"
Does it look like it's dancing to you?  Yeah, me neither!




As I scanned my kitchen for ideas, I eyed the spaghetti squash out of the corner of my eye and Voila, I had my idea!



First, slice your large spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds in the middle and discard, place the 2 halves on a cookie sheet or shallow dish face down and cook at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes..give or take a few minutes to allow for different oven temperatures.  You will know it is done when it it looks like this:






Chop your mushrooms like this:




While the spaghetti squash is in the oven, 
brown the beef and the sweet Maui onions until well done. (Drain and put aside)






Saute the mushrooms and garlic together for about 3-4 minutes (or until they are reduced by half) on medium heat, add salt and pepper to taste and put aside.  



After the spaghetti squash is cool, remove the with a fork (it kind of flakes out like this:

Place Squash in a large bowl...toss with 2 tablespoons of melted butter and add 1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg, salt and pepper.

 Add all remaining ingredients and mix gently...




Transfer the mixture to a large casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.  





***You may also add 1/4 cup of Grass fed Cheddar to the top to make it a little more interesting.

The optional Cheddar-


Bon appetit!
My husband and I really enjoyed this meal and I hope you will too!

Ingredients-
1 large Spaghetti squash
1 bunch of Maitake mushrooms (any kind will work)
2-3  cloves fresh Organic garlic (minced)
1/2 to 3/4 lb Grass fed Angus ground beef (or Organic Turkey)
1 large Organic Maui onion (chopped)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp Turmeric
2-3 tablespoons Kerrygold Grass fed butter
1/4 cup grated Grass Fed Cheddar Cheese (optional)
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt 
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp fresh organic basil (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon fresh organic parsley (chopped)



Sandy V-




No comments:

Post a Comment