Friday, January 10, 2014

Foodie or Foe..


Foodie or Foe???

While on a 2 day getaway to the mountains I posted the above photo to my personal Facebook page...My husband said  " You better not post that on your Eatwello Facebook page!"  Hahaha...At first I thought, oh yes he is right!  But then after thinking about more it I stared to feel a little guilty...first because I ate it..not the whole thing mind you, I actually shared it with my hubby sans the bun..secondly I have a Facebook page and a blog about being healthy and eating well and here is this big fat bacon cheeseburger that definitely does NOT fit the bill as a healthy food option and not something I want to advertise.  Ugh.

Here's the thing, guess what??? 
I'm not perfect and I don't eat perfectly 100% of the time..big shocker huh?  
I feel like a better person when I  practice what I preach otherwise that makes me a hypocrite right?  

I can't help it I LOVE delicious food,  I will eat just about anything..except Rocky Mountain Oysters AKA calf testicles.  My husband says they are delicious...yeah no thanks I will definitely pass on that..

When I started eating "clean" in the beginning of 2012, a  friend gave me a great idea regarding clean eating with a once a week "treat meal".  
As part of this "plan" you get 1 "treat meal" per week up to 1500 calories anything you want for that one meal.  Oh happy day!
I found myself daydreaming about what my meal would be on Saturday night every week and this went on for at least a year. 
That sounded like the perfect plan to me and it was.
By the way, this plan worked very well for me and I reached my weight loss goal of 27 lbs..Yay me!

Then the poop hit the fan last August when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, (autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid)  per doctors orders-no more gluten and no more dairy! I couldn't believe I had to give up 2 of my favorite things...boy did I feel sorry for myself!  
The gluten part I could live without but the no dairy made me want to cry!
The party was so over and it took some time to accept but it's all good now.

So to be 100% authentic I will tell you very honestly that I do not eat perfect all the time, especially when it's out of my control.  If I had my choice I would only eat at organic restaurants but truth be told they are few and far between around here and eating out is very expensive!

This is yet another reason I prepare most meals at home and avoid restaurants. 
It used to cause me great deal of anxiety to go out for a meal because I don't know what kind of crap can be lurking in the food they serve me...It is hard to enjoy it when my brain is thinking "OMG, is that GMO corn on my plate?" Or," Am I'm eating pesticide ridden salad with nasty Xanthan gum and Carrageenan in the dressing and God knows what else?" That is enough to send my OCD into overdrive...so again, no thanks!
Besides, I hate being labeled as a PITA (pain in the ass) because I ask so many questions about the menu or what is in this or that or people think you are just a picky eater which I so am not!  I used to be a waitress so I can tell you these types of people such as myself used to annoy the hell out of me, maybe things are a little different now but somehow I doubt it.

As a rule I stay away from all processed food so yes it is very hard for me to make the decision when at a restaurant..but like Tom Cruise said so well  "sometimes you just gotta say WTF".  I ate that big ol burger and enjoyed immensely and that is the God's honest truth.  


Sandy V.




No comments:

Post a Comment