Monday, January 20, 2014

How to make your own Water Kefir


I am sure many of you may be thinking..."What the heck is Water Kefir?"

I was in in search of a less expensive and more effective probiotic and I stumbled upon Water Kefir.  
I  purchased a bottle at the local health food store just to check it out and it was about $18 for 15 oz. not cheap!
 I really liked the Water Kefir but I decided I would not buy it again. Here's why....
If you don't know by now I'm a bit on the frugal side so I decided to try to make my own.
I got my water kefir grains on Amazon.com. but you may be able to find them at a health food store.


Water Kefir (pronounced Kee-fir) also known as "tibicos", is a great source of beneficial bacteria for the gut.  Hippocrates said 2000 years ago that good health begins in the gut..and I believe him!
Not to be confused with the Kefir you can buy in the dairy section made with milk.
I am off dairy so that is not an option for me.  
Water Kefir is a naturally fizzy fermented drink that is full of beneficial probiotics and enzymes for a delicious healthy drink!

I was totally excited to make this!!


You will need the following items:

1 large Ball jar or other glass container
Spring water or other filtered water (DO NOT USE TAP WATER or distilled)
1/4 cup organic brown sugar (I don't think the color of the sugar matters)
1 tablespoon organic black strap molasses (not the same as what is pictured)
Kefir grains
1 plastic spoon
1 non metallic strainer (I used metal strainer the first time, I didn't know at the time water kefir grains don't like metal)
measuring cup



First fill your ball jar with 1 quart of water, next add your sugar and molasses and stir until dissolved.  Add the kefir grains and place cap on loosely or cover with coffee filter or loose fitting saran wrap.

Let your Water Kefir batch sit in a warmish area for at least 48 hours even up to 72 hours. Keep in mind the longer it ferments the less sweet it will be.  
When its finished you will notice the bubbles at the top and some of the kefir grains floated to the top. Move the jar around and you should see bubbles.

Now don't worry because the kefir grains ATE all the sugar or most of it, that is how the fermentation occurs..very cool huh?  I freaking LOVE it!


The next step is getting the grains separated from the liquid.
Use a large container and pour the Water Kefir through the strainer...you will notice the kefir grains have doubled!  If the grains are healthy they will double with each batch..
You can share with your friends and family and they will have happy belly's too.

Wow, do you see how the grains have doubled?  

Gather a few glass containers to store your Water Kefir in and place the lid on tightly and put them in the fridge. The water kefir will continue to ferment another 24 hours and the result will be more fizz like soda.  You can also add lemon, apple or any other flavor to your water kefir either while its fermenting or after.  Just be sure to use a piece of cheesecloth if it's during the fermenting process.

Voila!  Now you have your Water Kefir.  I will warn you, the taste is slightly sweet and tart but trust me it will grow on you.  And just knowing how healthy it is makes you feel good drinking it.
If you have kids you may even be able to trick them into drinking it depending on what you add...call it special soda! ;)


To store your kefir grains until the next batch, place them in a small ziploc bag with a little filtered water and a little sugar and put in the fridge...The cold makes them go to sleep.


Enjoy!

Sandy V.


No comments:

Post a Comment