Monday, March 3, 2014

Spicy Chicken Stew



I really get tired of the same old thing....
I like new exciting flavors, I also tend to get stuck on certain flavors from time to time...I noticed I have been using a lot of cumin, turmeric and smoked paprika lately...by now it must be obvious to you that I  have a kind love affair with SPICY food.

I have not always liked spicy...It was not until I moved to CA and was introduced to Mexican food and Thai food that I awakened my taste buds..
Growing up on Long Island I had LOTS of great seafood, Italian food and Chinese food..but that is about the extent of ethic variety where I grew up....
Yesterday I was inspired to make an interesting stew with chicken instead of the same old, same old (beef).  My taste-tester hubby (Christophe) really likes spicy food too, and he really enjoyed this recipe so I hope you do too!


I have to tell you I was really excited to make this recipe in my NEW 6 Quart LODGE Dutch oven...Isn't it pretty?


 I wish it was Le Crueset <sigh>...Oh well...maybe someday!
I scored this bad boy on Amazon.  It had great reviews, and it was CHEAP!
Done deal...I got it on sale for $49.99...Now that is a smokin' deal my friends!



Okay, now we cook...


Chop up your vegetables first like this..



Saute your onions in some grass fed butter until they look like this...
The shallots are not in this picture as I added them later raw straight into the pot.


Brown the Carrots and Celery in 1 tablespoon of Grass fed butter to release the flavors...about 5 minutes.



Remove any extra fat from the chicken thighs...I don't go too crazy doing this as you can tell...



Place the chicken thighs in the Pot like this..


Add the Tomatoes & green Chile's, Carrots, celery,onions, garlic & shallots and bone broth and all spices to the pot..

***If you don't have bone broth you can use Organic Chicken Broth but I 'm just warning you the Bone Broth is very superior in taste and nutritional value to anything you can buy on the shelf..

Here is any easy recipe from Nourished Kitchen 
http://nourishedkitchen.com/bone-broth/



And yes, I am still using the canned Organic Diced and Fire Roasted tomatoes...(bad girl) I know I should not be using these canned tomatoes but they flavor is so perfect...This is my last hold out of canned items I promise..
I think I may write to Trader Joe's and ask them to remove BPA lining but then there is still the aluminum to think about ...Oh well...baby steps!

When I get into canning along with all the other projects I have in mind I will can my own tomatoes with fire roasted Chile's..If you don't have a Trader Joe's where you live you can use a small can of Organic fire roasted Chile's...Or you may want to fire roast your own Chile's..






Put the cover on the pot and simmer on low to low medium for about 3-4 hours or until Chicken is very tender..Stir about every hour or so..or more if you enjoy stirring.
You could also use a Crock Pot and do it the same way.

This serves about 4 people

Ingredients-                         

1.5-2 lbs Organic Chicken Thighs
4 cloves fresh Organic Garlic (chopped)
1 whole Organic Shallot (chopped)
1 large Organic Onion (chopped)
3  Organic Celery stalks (chopped)
3  Organic Carrots (chopped)
1  14.5 oz can of Organic Diced Tomatoes with green Chile's (Trader Joe's)
1.5-2 Cups of Organic Chicken Bone Broth
2 tbsp Grass Fed Butter (I use Kerrygold)
1 tbsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tbsp Himalayan pink salt (Or Celtic salt or Sea salt)
1 tsp White Pepper
a few sprigs of Fresh Thyme


You can serve this by itself or over Brown rice, Enjoy!



Sandy V.

No comments:

Post a Comment